Johnson Barracks Fuerth
|Jim Moran's father was stationed in Johnson Bks. between 1957 und 1959.|
Jim sent me photos from that time.
Thank you, Jim.
PX parking lot
Service club, theater, NCO club, EM club, snake bar, barber, PX, tailor
Lowering the flag
Motor pool 3
American Day soccer match
Gasthaus across the main gate
Gasthaus across the main gate
|Philipp Anacker supported me with a new map of Johnson Barracks 2017. |
Thank you vermy much, Philipp.
(for more details see www.fuerthwiki.de)
Georg Benda: Born in Fuerth. Owner of a bronze factory. Owned the 1st patent in Fuerth with the invention of a bronze grater mill.
Benno Strauß: Born in Fuerth. German physicist, invented the stainless steel (V2A).
Johann Zumpe: Born in Fuerth (1726-1791). Later an instrument maker in London. Donated to the orphanage.
|Tucher: Name of the brewery located at the end of the street.|
Toni Wolf:Owner of the Eckart-Werke Fuerth (bronze powder). Many donations to the City of Fuerth.
Futuria:Named after the product of MOST GmBh, located in that street.
Willy Mederer:Founder of the gummy bear factory "Trolli" in Fuerth.
|The former Johnson Barracks has completely turned into an industrial area, focused on car business. |
It may take another year and all properties will be tilled.
Photos from 8 May 2015.
Schwabacher Straße. The entrance gate of Johnson Barracks was in the middle.
View from the inside of the gate towards Schwabacher Straße.
The Kalb Housing Area seen from the top of the canal dam.
Car dealers ...
The very last keepsake of the US.
Car wash plant.
Other business: bikes.
Industrial photo print shop.
Storage of construction machinery on the site of the former prison.
rental of construction machinery.
A variety of shops.
Construction materials for sale.
In the southern part of the former Johnson Barracks: The Tucher Brewery.
A display inside.
The brewery includes a public restaurant and beer garden.
If you'll ever come close, visit it.
|Left: two photos of the "Sparkasse" calendar 2007 from 1961 (far left) and 2006 (both Bischof & Broel). Johnson Kaserne at the bottom.|
|Two aerial pictures from 2005.||"Fürther Nachrichten"
from 24 May 2006:
A DIY store of the "BayWa" will open next year. Up to now 102 companies have settled at the former Johnson Barracks area which is now completely sold.
17 August 2003:
At the bottom right the Main-Danube-Canal crosses the outer Schwabacher Strasse. The big white square in the upper left is the filling station of the Tucher brewery. A miles-long pipeline from the downtown brewery at Schwabacher Straße ends here. Next to the smaller white square below is the last reminding warehouse.
| DRMO Johnson
(Data for approx. year 2000)
| DRMO Johnson near Closure
(17 July 2001)
|Thank you, Jürgen.|
The last warehouse at Johnson (built in the 1930ies) was broken down in August 2007. Before it had been in use of the DRMO (Defense Reutilization Marketing Office).
Picture by Gene Kuentzler (right) and by myself (all others, dating from Augst 13th).
The material is being shreddered on site.
Below: View to the north. The yellow containers are set down where the prison was located.
and right: pictures taken by "Bauamt Fuerth", Date unknown. Compare
them with the picture on the far right from 9 Dec 2001!
The modern building is home for some small companies.
|Some more pictures taken by "Bauamt Fuerth", Johnson Barracks seems already be abandoned.|
|These pictures on the left were taken by the "Bauamt Fuerth" in March 1998.|
Pictures from Barry Hall, taken in 1988.
Right: towards the motor pool
||1975 - Gen. Price (2nd on the left)|
Then more buildings were constructed and after completion in 1935 the Panzerabwehrabteilung
17 (Anti Tank unit) moved in and the Verpflegungsmagazin (Food Service Depot)
was constructed to support the military units in Nuernberg-Fuerth.
In 1938 the area was acquired by the Deutsche Reich.
The former prison (left - Date unknown)
||May 1991 - Return from Operation Desert Storm|
The installation was confiscated by the U.S. Army in May 1945 and officially
designated Johnson Barracks in memory of Private Eldon H. Johnson, 15th
Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division who had been killed in action 3
June 1944 near Valmontone, Italy.
The storage area - 17 July 1994
||March 1998 - View from the main gate|
From the 1970's Johnson Barracks was home of the 16th Engineer Battalion
which supported two brigades of the 1st Armored Division and one brigade
of the 2nd AD. It also contained warehouses and other facilities for various
supply elements from William O. Darby Kaserne. In 1992 the 16th Engineer
Battalion moved to Bamberg.
March 1999 - View from the canal
7 March 1999 - the last warehouse
||9 December 2001 - same view as on 17 July 1994|
Hardly a trace remains of the former home of the 16th Engineer Battalion's
home. The buildings of Johnson Barracks are almost completely removed. Only
one of the seven big warehouses is still standing. Now Johnson is an industrial
area with car dealerships, a catering service, a photo development lab etc.
||9 December 2001 - the southern corner||
17 February 2002 - view along Schwabacher Strasse
17 February 2002 - Gate 2
|Photos from 3 Nov 1995 by Marco Frömter.|
The southern corner is now home of a giant keg of the Tucher brewery! (Sorry sappers, too late for you).
Right: the entrance in March
|Photos from the 1970ties by Jim McKenna.|
They show the jail area of the 43rd MP Det.
| Declaration of JOHNSON BKS on 11 May 1949: